In the past year, CEDEM has implemented a variety of activities within the project “Improving the practices of local media in the fight against corruption and organized crime” with the aim of strengthening the capacity of local media representatives in reporting cases of corruption and organized crime.
The project was realized in cooperation with Mirjana Jevtović from the Insider network from Serbia. After the training held in November, a very intensive three-month mentoring period followed, and as a result of this process, seven research stories emerged.
We appreciate that all topics proposed by journalists and their editors are very important for the whole society and as such have interested the wider and professional public of local communities.
The stories were published on the media sites that took part in this project, as follows:
- Radio Bar, portal barinfo.me – Topic “Analysis of the inaction of various actors: Palmin surlash” – the circumstances of the problem, a description of all events and actions of municipalities bordering Bar, a description of the procedure that the competent institutions should have taken under current regulations, decisions in in this regard, the identification of specific non-compliance with the orders of the authorities. The story is published in five parts and is available here.
- Vijesti.me – Topic: “Bar on the water” – Review of the project that the municipality ordered and paid for and which was never realized, with the presentation of all the decisions of the municipality regarding the project. The story is available here.
- TV Teuta and portal teutatv.me – Topic “Solana” – A review of the current situation and a chronological overview of what Solana used to be, what it has gone through in the privatization process and what decisions have been made about it so far. The story is available here.
- RTV Pljevlja – Topic: “Non-payment of contributions – the case of the Coal Mine” – Chronology of events, description of the legal framework for the collection of local taxes for a decade or more. The story is published in two parts and is available at the following link.
- Pljevlja portal (www.pvnovine.com) – Topic “Agricultural Cooperative – Doganje” – Chronological description through the media archive and state decisions regarding privatization or change of status of the cooperative, who are the owners and how the situation came that the country can be kidnapped from the co-operative. The story is available at the following link, and is published in three parts.
- Radio Berane and the Radio Berane portal – “The problem of underage and arranged Roma marriages” – key data on the conclusions of NGOs so far and the presentation of the story “from the inside”, and not from the angle of existing NGO reports. The story is published in three parts, and is available at the following link.
- Radio Skala and the portal Radio Skala – Topic “Destruction of the maritime good” – Chronological overview of past events – media archive of two cases in which the marine good was transferred to private property. The story is available at the following link.
The project was partly funded by the US Embassy in Podgorica. The opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations set forth herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the US Department of State.